naver-site-verification: naverf83ad7df1bcc827c523456dbbc661233.html 한국전쟁과 주한미군 ⑧
홈 > 블로그 > 내 블로그 > 한국전쟁
내 블로그

한국전쟁과 주한미군 ⑧

fabiano 0 1898  
usmcclr.gif                              USAFLAG.gif                              usmcclr.gif

USMC in the DMZ 

한국전쟁은 1950. 6. 25. 새벽 김일성이 새벽을 틈타 북한공산군을 이끌고

침략한 전쟁으로 끔찍한 동족상잔의  비극을 초래하고 엄청난 손실을 가져 온 전쟁이다.

치열한 공방전과 일진일퇴를 거듭한 전쟁은 3년 여의 전투 끝에 1953. 7. 24. 휴전협정을 맺음으로써 일단락 되었다.
  155마일의 휴전선이 설정되어 현재까지 약 60여년의 세월이 흘렀다.

아래 포스팅은 휴전 직후, 美 해병 1사단이 초기, 한시적으로 비무장지대(DMZ)의 순찰과 경비업무를 하며

1955.  3월, 美 제24사단에 업무를 이양할 때까지의 활동을 사진으로 남겨 놓은

美 해병 1사단 DMZ Police Company의   역사적인 한 章이기도 하다.
 또한 이 기록물에서 당시 전몰한 한국군 해병대의 합동묘지 사진과 함께 비무장지대의 이모저모를 볼 수 있다.

이 사진기록과 문서는 당시, 해병 1사단의 주임상사였던 Bob Caulkins의 <USMC in the DMZ>에서 발췌하였다.

3Bc3.jpg

A sign at the Korean Marine Corps graveyard.

4Bc5.jpg

Korean Marine Corps (KMC), graveyard. Graves are on the hill at upper left.

5Bc6.jpg

A sign leading to the KMC grave yard.

6Bc7.jpg

The UNC prisoner of war camp seen from Hill 155. Note - Today this hill is listed on current maps as Hill 167.
Twelve feet of something has been added to the hill since 1953.

1STDMZ.jpg

The U.S.M.C. 1st Provisional DMZ Police Company
Korea, 1953 -1955

7Bc9.jpg

A grim reminder of what was happening a couple of months back.

8Bc37.jpg

Capsized flame thrower tank on Outpost Hedy (Hill 124), located north of Hill 229. Washed out tank road was the cause.
Crew bailed out under fire and returned that night to retrieve radios and machine guns.
No casualties. I wonder if the hulk is still there.

9Bc10.jpg

This photograph, taken in 1953, two months after the truce signing is of the rear deck of the capsized tank on Outpost Hedy.
A close look shows hundreds of bullet holes and rocket impacts.
The Chinese used the tank as a sniper post resulting in hundreds if not thousands of rounds being fired at the tank.

10Bc11.jpg

This unexploded 120mm Mortar round was also found on the Hook.
Notice the light colored band around the shaft of the round.
This band was made of lead and allowed the 120mm round to be fired from a 60mm mortar tube.

11Bc12.jpg

Vehicle check point into southern zone of DMZ.

12Bc14.jpg

A good number of the photos in the Marine Corps DMZ Police section were supplied by the then (1953),
Corporal Joe Mulkern of South Boston ("Southie"). Joe is on the left of Sgt. Slick (his real name).

13Bc15.jpg

Joe Mulkern (left), on top of Hill 155 overlooking the Indian administered POW Camp.
To Joe's left an Indian soldier who has switched hats with a Marine.

14Bc16.jpg

A patrol Platoon of the Marine Corps' 1st Provisional DMZ Police Company being inspected prior
to loading onto trucks and relieving an on-duty platoon out in the DMZ.

15Bc18.jpg

Each Marine in the DMZ Police Company carried an M-1 rifle and a .45Cal. Pistol while on patrol.

16Bc19.jpg

One of the duties of the Marine DMZ Company was to spot, plot and report all sightings of Chinese troops
and vehicles on the Chinese side of the Demarcation (No Go), Line from the Samichon River in the North
to the Panmunjom Corridor in the South. Joe Mulkern is spotting.

17Bc32.jpg

Pretty fancy dress for a truck driver. A member of the Indian Custodial Force, 1953.

18Bc23.jpg

Another Indian soldier.

19Bc24.jpg

DMZ Marine and friend.

20Bc29.jpg

Marine at entrance to 1st Provisional DMZ Police Company base camp.

21Bc30.jpg

Temple ruins at Changdan, 1953.

22Bc31.jpg

POW graveyard. Many of the dead were killed by their own mates in the camp when it was found out
they were either pro-democracy or anti-Communist.

23Bc33.jpg

A visit to the 1st Provisional Demilitarized Police Company CP by General Maxwell Taylor, 8th Army CG;
 Maj. Gen. Bryn, CG, I Corps; Marine General Randolph Pate, CG, 1st Marine Division
and Col. McTomkins, CO, 5th Marine Regiment.

24Bc01.jpg

The most photographed locomotive in the Far East!

25Bc34.jpg

Former train station near the destroyed locomotive.

26Bc35.jpg

All that remains of a bank in the town of Changdan is the vault. Changdan was located at the foot of Hill 229.

27Bc36.jpg

This is a photograph of then (1953), Sergeant Bob Caulkins, 1st Provisional Demilitarized Police Company.
In the foreground an unexploded 155mm shell found on the Hook. The Hook overlooked the Samichon River Valley.

28Bc98.jpg

This is a trench line on the Hook. The British held this position when the war ended.

29Bc99.jpg

30Bc201.jpg

The pile cap we wore on patrol and on post.

31Bc202.jpg

Homemade flag, made by a Chinese in the POW camp in 1953.
The man was in a compound holding the prisoners who had decided not to return to Communist China and elected to go to Formosa. The flag was made from skivvie drawers.
The right edge of the flag is the waist band, it may be possible to see in the picture the word "SMALL" in the upper right portion of the band.
The white star burst is made of adhesive tape, the red portion was said to be dyed red with blood
and I don't know where they got the blue from.
I snatched this one off the pack of a prisoner as they marched by on the way to loaded onto the train which took them
to the port of Inchon.

33BC3A.jpg

Demolished bunker on the Hook. I am looking at the shattered remains of a British helmet.

34BC101.gif

This photo, taken in September 1953, shows Major General Randolph Mc Call Pate, commanding general of the 1st Marine Division, conferring with Captain Samuel G. Goich, commanding officer of the newly formed 1st Provisional Demilitarized Zone Police Company. Captain Goich, 83, a retired major residing in Somerset, NJ, recalls that General Pate told him that the DMZ Police Company "experiment" would either "make me or break me, based on the actions of my Marines within the zone."

35COCC1.jpg

Change of Command Ceremony March 1955.

This photo was sent to Bob by a fellow 1st DMZer by the
name of Dick Mey who was present in the change of command
ceremony in 1955.
The 24th Infantry Division DMZ Police Honor Guard
are in the white helmets.
The USMC DMZ Police Company
Honor Guard is on the right, in dark covers.

0 Comments
Category
State
  • 현재 접속자 68 명
  • 오늘 방문자 2,202 명
  • 어제 방문자 1,486 명
  • 최대 방문자 14,296 명
  • 전체 방문자 1,304,987 명
  • 전체 게시물 10,948 개
  • 전체 댓글수 35,460 개
  • 전체 회원수 71 명
Facebook Twitter GooglePlus KakaoStory NaverBand